Sunday, November 16, 2014

Combing techniques - soap challenge

Soap Challenge Combing technique - cut bars

I've been working on my soap combing techniques as part of the Great Cake Soapworks Soap Challenge. This soap was one of my first attempts at a combing type swirl. The whole batch is scented with Brambleberry's "Ginger Ale"  fragrance oil, which smells amazing and gives you all the time in the world to play with it.  I prepared 5 different colors of mica plus some titanium dioxide.


I separated my batch in half and poured the colored soap differently into each mold:

 
Then I swirled, using a simple comb made with cardboard and bamboo skewers.

1st mold:
Combing technique - CP soap in mold


2nd mold:
Combing technique - cold-process soap in mold

 
I liked the swirls of the first soap better.  Here is a closer look at it:

Combing technique soap challenge - in mold




4 comments:

  1. Hi Jelena!

    This is absolutely beautiful!!

    Can you tell me about the swirling techniques you used? I know you used the comb across the the mold. Did you use any other swirling techniques other than the one comb stroke?

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, there were several comb strokes, in different directions. :) You can see more details on how this is done in my previous post. I didn't use any other technique to get the pattern. This technique is very similar to that used in paper marbling.

      Delete