Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Feathered in-the-pot swirl

I've been experimenting lately with making the Feathered ITP Swirl soap. It's a traditional soaping technique with a little twist, which allows to achieve a feathered look in the final soap. Here are some photos of the process and the results.

The first soap is called Satsuma, I love the smell!
In the pot, after a quick stir:
in the mold:
after being cut:

in-the-pot swirl soap - feathered ITP swirl
in-the-pot swirl soap - feathered ITP swirl
in-the-pot swirl soap - feathered ITP swirl
 
The 2nd soap is called Black Cherry, it's colored with red, black and gold mica.
In the pot:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As you can see, the trace is a bit thicker here - I did that intentionally to see if it makes any difference in the feathered look. Just one stir this time before pouring into mold:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The cut bars, all of them. Yes, it was a very small batch. :)
in-the-pot swirl soap - feathered ITP swirl
 
And finally the 3rd attempt at this soap technique, it's scented with sandalwood fragrance oil.
The soap has reached medium trace:
 
Just poured into the mold:
 
I should have left it this way, but I decided to make a textured top, as there was still quite a lot of soap batter left in the pot.
 
The cut bars:
in-the-pot swirl soap - feathered ITP swirl
 
I am pretty happy to see that there are feathered swirls in each batch, although they look differently.


15 comments:

  1. Hi Jelena...Very pretty! May I ask, after you do the one circle stir of the colors in the pot, do you pour your mixture straight down into the middle of your loaf...or do you pour it back and forth into the loaf?
    Thanks so much, Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan! I was pouring the soap mixture into one spot, without moving back and forth.

      Delete
  2. Is this cold process? Also what are you using for colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are cold-process soaps. I use mica, mineral pigments (oxides) and activated charcoal for coloring.

      Delete
  3. Any pointers on how to make the feathered look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, the key is to pour your soap into one spot.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jelena!

    I really like these results! I am especially intrigued with the last one. I love the color combination and the feathering achieved.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried to do a feathered swirl a couple of times but my soap always goes into trace too quickly to work. Could you share what kind of oils you use? And I am assuming that you don't use a stick blender for anything to help it stay as fluid as possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely use a stick blender, but only to bring soap batter to emulsion, then I mix it with a spatula. I use different oils and butters, but I never use olive pomace oil, only regular olive oil.
      Go for a recipe with approx.50% olive oil or other liquid oils. If you aren’t opposed to animal products in your soap, try some lard for a slow moving recipe. HTH.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jelena,

    I have to say your swirls are really sexy and awesome. Love the way your soap bars have turned out. Am brand new to soaping but will soon try your technique in my soaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jelena,
    I am really happy to read about this technique. So easy but just as tricky, that you have to hold the pouring at the same corner or point of the mold. I have already made a whole log soap, and recently I found that in small molds (like heart of flower shape) it works also well, and I got really beautiful marbled soaps.
    Thank you so much for sharing this and the pictures are also very helpful and show the beauty of the soaps.
    I intend to share this lovely idea among my soaper friends in my country as well.
    Best wishes,
    Eszter
    (Eszti Szappanszertár/ Eszti's Soap Storeroom)
    http://szappanszertar.blogspot.hu/2017/10/marvany-mintas-szappanok-marble-wave.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank tou Jelena for sharing
    Can i ask why don t you use olive oil pomace?thank you your soaps are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you pour in the middle or one corner, I was going to try this in a BB 18 bar mold do you think it will work the same

    ReplyDelete